Cyprus traditional cuisine is world-famous as being one of the most delicious cuisines in the world! The best way to sample most Cyprus dishes is trying the Cyprus Mezedes. In a matter of seconds, your table will overflow with more than 30 small dishes filled with Cyprus specialities, from fresh salads to delicious dips and main dishes just for you!
Let’s take a look at 10 delicious Cyprus Meze Dishes and remember, we are not to blame if you find yourself craving for traditional Cypriote food…just hop on a plane to Cyprus!
- Ofto Kleftiko-this scrumptious dish is oven-baked lamb and potatoes dish is baked with a mix of herbs until the meat is so soft and tender that it literally falls off the bone.
- Souvlaki (kebab)-is small cubes of pork or chicken served in Cyprus pitta bread with freshly cut salad, tahini and pickles.
- Souvla-are larger cubes of lamb and pork or pieces of chicken which are screwed and charcoaled. Souvla is the most delicious dish of Cyprus as the charcoaled meat is marinated beforehand. When ready to eat the meat is served with fresh Cyprus Salad.
- Sheftalia-look like tiny burgers, only much tastier! They are made with minced meat, lots of spices and herbs!
- Halloumi-is Cyprus’ world-famous cheese. When part of the Cyprus Meze, this rich-flavoured cheese is served grilled. Grilled halloumi is perfect with a piece of spicy village sausage and Cyprus pitta bread!
- Pastourma-are tasty and spicy Cyprus sausages.
- Koupepia-are vine leaves stuffed with aromatic minced meat and rice. Absolutely divine!
- Karaoli Yahni-is a dish made up of tiny snails which are cooked in tomato sauce with lots of herbs. Doesn’t sound much but the taste is truly amazing! In fact, snails are one of the island’s prized delicacies!
- Tahini-is a delicious dip made up of sesame seeds, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and olive oil. Usually accompanied with souvlaki, tahini is also delicious with pitta and halloumi!
- Afelia-this dish is made of cubes of marinated pork, which are cooked with red wine, aromatic coriander, cumin, and pepper! This dish is typically served with pourgouri.
How about going to a tavern tonight?
Taste all the amazing Cyprus dishes at any of the Louis Hotels’ in Cyprus ? https://louishotels.com/en/cyprus.html